Client Questions

Why do I need a business plan?

Consider your business plan your road to success. A business plan will contain your business goals, why those goals attainable, how you will reach them.

Where can I find a good attorney?

There are several legal resources available here in Austin. To search for an attorney visit.
Lawyer Referral Services of Central Texas – (512) 571-8303
Legal Assistance to Microenterprises Project – (888) 988-9996
Also EGBI has several attorneys that work with small businesses.

Where can I get a copy of my credit report?

Everyone should review his or her credit report on an annual basis regardless of whether you are trying to start a business.

  • – will provide you with the detailed report no score
  • – will provide you with your score.
  • YOU SHOULD NOT ENTER ANY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. Unless you want to have your report monitored.

Where can I find out information about getting my product trademark?

What do I need to get a business loan?

Each financial institution differs on their requires. Below is a list of general items you will need to obtain financing. Check with your financial institution to see if they require additional information.

  • Business Plan (if business is less than 2 yrs old)
  • Bank Statements – for personal and business
  • Last 3 years tax returns – for personal and business
  • Most recent financial statements for the business
  • Personal Financial Statement
  • List of how funds will be used

Where do I go to register my business?

Depends on how you want to register your business.

  • If you are interested in forming a Sole Proprietorship. You will need to go to your County Clerk’s office.

Travis County Clerk’s office
5501 Airport Blvd Austin Texas 78751
(512) 854-9188

Hays County Clerk’s Office
712 S. Stagecoach Trail, San Marcos, Texas 78666
(512) 393-7779

Williamson County Clerk’s Office
405 Martin Luther King St Georgetown, TX 78626
(512) 943-1515

If you are interested in forming an LLC or a Corporation you will need to submit forms with the Secretary of State.

  • EGBI recommends that you consult with an attorney to assist you with filing your documents.
  • Depending on the complexity of your documents an attorney will charge you between $1,000 – $2,000