Why do I need a business plan?
Consider your business plan your road to success. A business plan will contain your business goals, why those goals attainable, how you will reach them.
Where can I find a good attorney?
There are several legal resources available here in Austin. To search for an attorney visit.
Lawyer Referral Services of Central Texas – (512) 571-8303
Legal Assistance to Microenterprises Project – (888) 988-9996
Also EGBI has several attorneys that work with small businesses.
Where can I get a copy of my credit report?
Everyone should review his or her credit report on an annual basis regardless of whether you are trying to start a business.
WE send out clients to Cornerstone Financial Education to help clients with any credit issues that they may have. (800) 336-1245
- Annualcreditreport.com – will provide you with the detailed report no score
- Creditkarma.com – will provide you with your score.
- YOU SHOULD NOT ENTER ANY CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. Unless you want to have your report monitored.
Where can I find out information about getting my product trademark?
- The United State Patent and Trademark Office has several resources for you to learn about how to obtain a trademark.
- Basic Information
- Database search
What do I need to get a business loan?
Each financial institution differs on their requires. Below is a list of general items you will need to obtain financing. Check with your financial institution to see if they require additional information.
- Business Plan (if business is less than 2 yrs old)
- Bank Statements – for personal and business
- Last 3 years tax returns – for personal and business
- Most recent financial statements for the business
- Personal Financial Statement
- List of how funds will be used
Where do I go to register my business?
Depends on how you want to register your business.
- If you are interested in forming a Sole Proprietorship. You will need to go to your County Clerk’s office.
• Travis County Clerk’s office
5501 Airport Blvd Austin Texas 78751
• Hays County Clerk’s Office
712 S. Stagecoach Trail, San Marcos, Texas 78666
• Williamson County Clerk’s Office
405 Martin Luther King St Georgetown, TX 78626
If you are interested in forming an LLC or a Corporation you will need to submit forms with the Secretary of State.
- EGBI recommends that you consult with an attorney to assist you with filing your documents.
- Depending on the complexity of your documents an attorney will charge you between $1,000 – $2,000